Ride Stats:
Distance - 38 mi
Avg Speed - 10.20 mph
Climbed - 1730 ft
Calories Burned - 2510 kcal
Temps - 100 to 113 F

This was an exceptionally hot day that offered me an opportunity to practice in the kind of high heat conditions we're likely to see in Nevada and Utah. I rode through the hottest part of the day, focused on hydration, and consumed about twice my normal water intake. I stopped in the shade about every 7 mi. to eat a snack, drink, and catch my breath. The bike was fully loaded and I was starting to fade at 35 mi, but wisely hadn't ventured far from home; so I could save some energy for the rest of this 3-day weekend.

Even in the woods on the north facing slope of Cliff Drive it was 100 degrees. This deer let me get closer than usual. It seemed to be conserving it's energy for more dangerous threats.

The Misssouri River continues to rise as they overflow the precariously full reservoirs upstream. There's been levee breaks and Interstate Highway closures upstream in Nebraska and Iowa. Based on my photo records, it's risen here about 6 ft in the last couple of weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment