Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Back in the saddle

Ride Stats:
Distance - 14 miles
Ave. Speed - 11.3 mph
Elevation Climbed - 1340 ft
Temperature - 82 F

I'm back! After a week in Minneapolis, watching my son play in the Junior Olympics volleyball tournament, I finally had a chance to get back on the bike. What better way to get reacquainted with my bike than climbing my 10-hill course.



Here's the top of the Bayview Hill, just before you take the plunge into a very high speed descent.  Of course, pictures don't really give you an idea of the steepness.  This hill ranges from 8 to 11% gradient.

 


Here's the bottom of Bayview, with a sharp left turn at the bottom. Two years ago, my son (Patrick) was riding this hill and let his speed build up too much. I watched in horror as he lost control in the turn at the bottom of the hill and he flipped over the guard-rail. He suffered some pretty bad cuts and bruises. He has a new bike now, but he's sticking to flatter rides (which I'm very happy about).



No comments:

Post a Comment