Ride Stats:
Distance - 40 mi
Avg Speed - 10.4 mph
Climbed - 2700 ft
Calories Burned - 2500 kcal
Temps - 90 to 118 F
There is a big high pressure system parked over the middle of the country, creating some record high temperatures, and is now being referred to as a Heat Dome. We've had this camping trip scheduled for some time, to Watkins Mill State Park, because of some other commitments nearby on Saturday and Sunday. Otherwise, it would be crazy to schedule a camping trip this weekend. Surprisingly, the campground is full. These are all reserved sites, so I guess everyone, like us, are just following through on their plans. The Park Ranger did say that they had to call in EMT's for two cases of heat exhaustion, so not everyone is really up to the challenge.
Since the park is only 40 miles from home, it fit perfectly into my training plans. I hit the road a little after 8 am to avoid Friday rush hour traffic, and it was already 90 F. This was a new direction for me, having never ridden north of the river. I charted a course on Goggle Maps, and crossed my fingers that there wouldn't be any gravel roads. The roads turned out to be fine. I also figured the heat would keep the dogs at bay, and was right ( no sweat glands ). I heard a few barking at me that didn't give chase.

This is a relatively new bike lane over the Hwy 9 Bridge downtown, and is the only safe way across in the metro area. It worked well.

These are some good looking, pampered horses. I guess if they can handle Kentucky heat, Missouri is a breeze.

Here's a typical stretch of rural Missouri roadway. The climbing on these rolling hills really added up. I think this may have been my biggest climbing day to date. At least there's not Stop signs at the bottom of each hill, like in the city. The bad part is that they can be really steep. On one of my climbs towards the end of the ride I found myself climbing a 9% grade in my lowest gear, with a 116 F temperature reading and a heart rate of 161. This is an extreme experience that I really don't want to repeat. I guess that' s just the way life is in a Heat Dome, though.

I found a little relief from the heat by enjoying a chocolate milkshake at Burger King. Probably not the ideal training diet.

We love outlaws in this part of the country. I didn't stop at the James Farmhouse for the tour, but maybe later this weekend.

Angela wisely chose to drive to the campground in an air conditioned vehicle. We reserved a nicely shaded site.

Part of the drill this weekend is to test out the camping gear I'm taking on the big ride. This is a nice compact tent.

With the rain fly off, it actually might be pretty well suited to these hot conditions.
No comments:
Post a Comment