Friday, April 15, 2011

John and Mark

Ride Stats:
Distance (miles) - 13
Average speed (mph) - 14.1
Elevation climbed (ft) - 800
Calories burned (kcal) -
Temperature - 45

I took advantage of the last sunny day we're going to have for a while, and rode my Ellison Park Loop. There was a stiff, cold NE wind, which made the first climb of the ride, up Empire Blvd, a little more challenging.




The trees here are on the verge of blossoming. The grass is starting to green up, finally.



 
I'll be honest. My Ellison Loop ride is more than just an out-and-back for me. We lost John (my brother) on this road, in a tragic car accident, 36 years ago. I like to ride this road because I feel his presence here. I talk to him, while I climb up this winding road. I tell him how much I miss him...how much we all miss him.

I rode this same loop shortly after we lost my brother, Mark, to stomach cancer, a few years ago. I was feeling pretty depressed and I talked to both Mark and John while I climbed up to the top of Richs Dugway. I turned the corner to ride down Blossom Road. Just as I started to gain quite a bit of speed, two deer came out of the brush, headed towards me, and then veered so that they ran beside me for what felt like a long time. It was almost as if John and Mark were together, and they were telling me that everything was okay.

My brothers may be gone, but they're not forgotten. I think about both of them everyday.

1 comment:

  1. I think they were lucky to have a couple of great brothers...well more than a couple!

    ReplyDelete