Ride Stats:
distance (miles) - 10
average speed (mph) - 12.2
elevation climbed (ft) - 780
calories burned (kcal) -
temperature - 51
That pile of rubble, to the right of the green dumpsters, is all that's left of the historic Newport House.
That's Inspiration Point, across the bay. The Farnung boys delivered the morning newspaper on that street for a long time, passing the paper route down through the family.
Tyler's first baseball scrimmage of the season was cancelled this afternoon, since the field was too wet. So, I took a ride along the bay, on a course that I like to call the "Farnung-5". This has always been a nice measuring stick, to see just what kind of shape I'm in. It has 5 decent climbs, with inclines ranging from 8 to 13%. Learning which gear to climb in, on different slopes, is something that will help me later this year. I must be improving since I'm no longer spitting up blood at the top of each hill...just kidding. I continue to be very impressed with the way this bike handles. Even after a long, snowy winter, this bike floats over the stones, cracks, and potholes left behind from 5 months of aggressive road salting by the Town of Irondequoit. It's a ride that's as smooth as butter!


Just got the link from my Dad, and the blog is great. Well infused with the Farnung sense of humour, of course. I have seen the bike, and it looks well built for all those miles. I'm waiting for the temp. to get above the sixties to get out biking along the lake. Best way to start the day... at a rock-solid (and completely normal) 11 am.
ReplyDeleteMy Dad and I had an awesome time biking and testing out his clip in pedals in Hawaii. We did a 5 mile non-stop climb around a valley that renewed his resolve to get in a lot of training. :)
Other than not reminding me to unclip when we came to our first stop, Ian is an excellent personal trainer! He taught me how to lower my heart rate by breathing more deeply, and I've put that to good use. He also tried to teach me how to pedal one-legged, but a 6% grade was not the best choice of venues for this "old dog" to learn that trick.
ReplyDelete