Distance - 79
Ave. Speed - 9.9
Elevation Climbed - 4040 ft
Temperature - 52 to 97 F
I'm sorry to say that today was my last day on this journey. I've been fighting a medical condition, since before the trip started, and I was hoping that it would be okay during this tour. Unfortunately, this condition got progressively worse with each day and is now to the point where I can no longer sit on a bike seat without being in constant pain.
I'll be heading home tomorrow, assuming I can get my bike boxed up and shipped home. I should be home late Tuesday, if all goes according to plan.
Karl will continue on with this journey, so please check back here to see what adventures he encounters on his way back to Kansas City.

We started the morning out with a nice 900 foot climb out of Eureka. We saw two antelope run across the street!

Another day full of blue skies and a hot sun. Today we actually had some cloud cover in the afternoon.

I can't even tell you how many mountain ranges we crossed, so far, in Nevada. Here's a little known fact...Nevada has more mountain ranges in it than any other state in the US.

We stopped for a mid-morning snack, before things heated up too much.

We passed many roadside vigils, along the way, so far. This one was pretty elaborate.

Pancakes...mmmm.

They might call this Little Antelope Summit, but there was nothing little about it!

We did a total of 4 summits today, and fought a headwind or crosswind for much of the day.
Eric - I'm so sorry you're having to bow out; I know how badly you wanted to do this. You're doing the right thing, though. Safe travels home, and get that old body healed up so you can tackle it again next year!
ReplyDeleteKarl - I'm sorry for you, too. You and Eric make a great team, and I know you'll miss him terribly. Stay strong, be safe, and ride on home to me. Love you!
Angela expressed it all. I am so sorry for each of you. Sending healing thoughts to Eric and strength to Karl. It's been an epic journey no matter where the finish line is! Michelle
ReplyDeleteEric, I know how dissapointed you must be, I've bowed out of events but nothing even in the same magnitue/universe as this event. Health comes first. (easy for me to say, I know) You've got a lot to be proud of: the planning, bike construction, days of grueling cycling, thousands of climbing feet, 100+ degree heat, putting up with Karl (kidding!). Plus I think you left a lasting impression on that "big ol' steer".
ReplyDeleteGood luck Karl, I'll be watching the blog. Keep on rolling Team-F!
-dave