Distance - 62 mi
Avg Speed - 8.7 mph
Climbed - 4400 ft
Calories Burned - 3000 kcal
Temps - 55 to 120 F
The terrain and scenery was so incredible today that I found myself not dreading the climbing part, but just accepting it as a natural part of the experience. I got out on the road at 5:30 and rode in the starlight for the first hour. Amazingly only one car passed me from behind. It was all climbing for the first 3 hours ( 1700 ft ), and then coasting down a gentle slope for about 10 miles, all the way to my halfway point, Escalante. It was so much fun coasting and pedaling at 20 mph through a fertile valley, with hardly any traffic, that I didn't even want to stop to take pictures.
When I reprovisioned in Escalante, the convenience store clerk warned me that the next 30 miles would blow my mind. They did. First there was the long 700 ft climb up to the precipice of a nearly grand canyon 20 miles across, and then a 2000 ft drop into a twisting maze of roadway to the Escalante River; and then of course the requisite climb back out. By the way, none of these roads were laid out as wagon roads. They were built after cars and trucks with big engines were common, so the grades of 9, 10, 11, and on up to 14% were the norm. Anyone with vertigo should stay away. These were two lanes, very little shoulder, and no guardrails. Thankfully, not much traffic on a Saturday. Photos don't do it justice because you can't see the depth when all the background looks the same.
By this time, I've got the hydration and food consumption figured out, and I'm mentally adjusting to whatever's thrown at me; so I was feeling good from start to finish. I pulled into Boulder at abot 2:30.
One of my first stops was at the local grocery store for tomorrow's breakfast and lunch before they closed. After he rang up all my purchases, the clerk asked me where I was from. After I responded, he said "Oh, I thought from the way you eat, you must be European." So, if you want to eat like a European; try Sardines, Deviled Ham Spread, Chili Cheese Flavored Corn Chips, Fig Newtons, Grapefruit Juice, Bananas, Salted Peanuts, and a tallboy can of Tecate Cerveza. But, not all at once.
Karl, Glad to see how well your doing!!Great pics. Mike Kozminski
ReplyDeleteI've never seen such a busy hummingbird feeder! Does your journey keep you totally out of touch with world news? Do you know that there is a hurricane on the East Coast? Potted ham? Disgusting. Michelle
ReplyDelete120 degrees!?! No typo, maybe 102 deg? If not, then WOW. When my TX buddy Sean complains (or brags?) about the 105 deg bikes, I'll just point him to pants-on-fire, asbestos shorts, keepin’ it cool, ironman Karl!
ReplyDelete-Dave