Distance - 64 miles
Ave. Speed - 13.8 mph
Elevation Climbed - 1020 feet
Temperature - 51 to 106 F
Up at 5:45, out the door by 6:15. We said our goodbyes with Ian and wished him well with his 35 mile bike ride to Reno. Karl and I hopped on Route 50 and headed east. We had a nice tailwind for some portions of the ride. Overall, it was an easy day. Ian texted us at 10:40, saying he was in Reno, already shipped the bike back to Kansas City on Amtrak, and was headed out to grab some lunch. Karl and I rolled into Fallon around noon. It was nice to get into a hotel room and get out of the heat. We had lots of blogging to catch up on.

The sunrise over the desert, just outside of Carson City.

Karl taking a picture of...

...this view.

The rumble strips appeared as we got outside the city limits. We rode on the right side of these as long as could, but then we were forced to ride to the left (out in the road). Luckily, most drivers here are very respectful of the space we need and went around us.

Karl's favorite white jersey (keeps him cool in this heat).

That's the Virginia & Truckee (V&T) railroad track, to the left. When there's no car traffic coming by, the desert is extremely quiet.

Here's a nice place to spend your retirement years at. I'll bet the owner will listen to any reasonable offer!

Just a gravel road that leads to...well, nowhere.

That's Karl up ahead, attacking me as I'm taking a picture of him. That's cold, bro. (actually, it's all good...I told him to ride so I could get this shot)

Here's something that you don't see in the desert very often...water. It appears that they've damned up the Carson River in this location, and call it the Lahontan Reservoir. We saw a guy fishing and 2 motor boats. That may sound pretty boring, but when you ride through the desert, even the most mundane appears extraordinary.

Fallon's claim to fame is the Fallon Naval Air Station Base.
Glad to see the updates - was hoping you guys didn't get eaten by a bear! Looks like a fantastic (and grueling) time - keep it up! Hope you get your granny gear figured out...
ReplyDelete