Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day 18: Blanding to Dove Creek, CO

Ride Stats:
Distance - 46 mi.
Avg Speed - 9.4 mph
Climbed - 2650 ft
Temps - 70 to 90 F

Today was intentionally designed as a rest day, and I spent less than 5 hrs riding. That has a huge benefit for certain aching parts. I'll do the same tomorrow and the next day, and see if I can get healed up for the home stretch. I'm past the halfway point, and into my 4th State, but I've still got the Rocky Mountains ahead of me.
Utah threw one last dose of climbing at me this morning, with about 2000 ft in the first 20 miles. The second half of the day was just rolling hills and a little tailwind. It felt good for a change to not be struggling at the end of a ride.
My stopping point today was selected on the basis of location, and the fact that they have a motel and a couple of restaurants. Dove Creek is ultra-small, but the business owners are friendly and try hard to deliver the best. The Country Inn Motel is one of those old 1-story Motor Court Motels built in 1950 with a Western Theme appearance. $45/nt for a small single, and no bikes in the room. This was a first on the bike rule, but I respect their desire for cleanliness, and they did let me keep it in a locked storeroom. The Dinner Bell Restaurant offered a Large Beef & Bean Burrito smothered in their homemade Green Chile Sauce. With a Lemonade, the bill came to $8.80. The service was friendly and sincere.
I didn't remember this until I was exploring the town, but Angela and I stopped here about 10 years ago on our way back from camping in Moab & Canyonlands. I saw a business selling Pinto Beans, and had to check it out. It was Adobe Milling Company, and they sold dry beans of several varieties as well as spices used to flavor them. They do mostly wholesale and mail order, but we hauled a bunch of their products back home and liked them enough to also order some delivered. Dove Creek is the self-proclaimed Pinto Bean Capital Of The World.

This was a mountain that my morning ride worked it's way around. They're starting to get bigger and greener as I move towards Colorado.
Bicycling is really popular here, so I'm hoping for some bike-friendly roadways and drivers.
More roadside art. Mickey Mouse?
How about a roadside junkyard, with a vintage Ford Ranchero. This one was probably driven by an actual Rancher.
This was the first Grain Elevator sighting on this trip. I could see it coming from about 10 miles away. Don't worry, I won't be posting photos of every Grain Elevator I see.
So, in the Pinto Bean Capital, you've got to make them readily available.
This was the Bean Display in the Gas Station. No, I'm not going to load any bags of beans on the bike.

2 comments:

  1. I was hoping you'd pick up a 10-pound bag of pintos. We're fresh out.

    Three states down, two to go...you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Karl hauls beans home to you we are going to have his noggin checked out. I was glad to hear of the nice ride during the second half of your day. I think of you everytime I sit in a nice comfy armchair or my temperpedic bed.....it won't be long until you have those luxuries again yourself. So very proud of you. Michelle

    ReplyDelete