Saturday, June 18, 2011

Road Closed ( Not Really )

Ride Stats:
Distance - 35 mi
Avg Speed - 9.7 mph
Climbed - 1760 ft
Calories Burned - 2360 kcal
Temp - 80's
It's been a couple of weeks since I've ridden, so I took my short course with a few extra hill climbs for good measure. I'm riding with loaded panniers now to build up leg strength.
We see these signs alot this time of year, and it's never clear to bicyclists whether they apply to us or not. Proceeding with caution, I found there was no closure at all; just some shoulder repairs being made. Of course, sometimes there's a bridge out or big muddy patches of torn up roadway which actually do require a change of plans. The worst was on a ride across Missouri last year. I came across a road closure due to flooding and it turned an 80 mi day into a 90. I hate that.

I replaced my mud flap after losing the first one. The hardware must've vibrated loose. This time I followed Eric's advice, and used LocTite on the hardware. Hopefully, I never have to remove it. It's not just for looks. After riding with and without it, I could see that it really does keep a significant amount of dirt and grime off the front sprocket and my tire pump that's mounted right behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment