Ride Stats:
distance - 14 miles
average speed (mph) - 11.0
elevation climbed (ft) - 1400
temperature - 85 F
The temps soared into the 90's, here in Rochester, today. This was one of those 3H days (hazy, hot, and humid). I'm betting that this is what it's like in Dallas, where my buddy (Sean) moved to. He's the type of guy that loves the heat. Not me. I like my temps in the 70's and my humidity in the 'bone dry' range.
I waited until after dinner until heading out to do my Farnung-10 course (which is riding up and down 5 different hills, each one twice, along Irondequoit Bay). The course is heavily shaded, so I was comfortable...that is, until I got off the bike. Then, it was a completely different story.
I was riding up the Newport Hill, approaching a bend that has a blind corner. Just then a steady stream of motorcycles came down the hill, side-by-side. There must've been 20 of them. This gang looked like the opposite of the Hell's Angels gang. Composed of a bunch of old guys on motorcycles that had very small engines...bordering on scooters. Off they went, to the bottom of the hill. I turned around at the top of the hill, and then headed back down, to climb it one more time. The gang passed by me, in the same spot on the climb up. One guy came by me, real close, and yelled in my ear "I hate hills!" Yeah, well, right about then, I agreed with him, 100%. But, hill climbing is something that I have to get better at. Karl and I will be faced with some very long climbs. The first big one is Carson Pass, as we head from California into Nevada.
It's all about attention to detail. I purposely wrapped my handlebars so that the Brooks logo would be face-up and centered, just above the bar-end shifters. OCD? Yeah, a little bit. ;-)


No comments:
Post a Comment