Ride Stats:
distance - 13 miles
average speed (mph) - 13.7
elevation climbed (ft) - 856
temperature - 80's
wind - constant furnace blast between 35 and 45 mph
Sorry about the radio silence, over the past few days. I went to Richmond, VA for my son's volleyball tournament. I picked up a cold/sore throat from the trip, so I'm a bit under the weather right now. I have a 150-mile bike ride scheduled for tomorrow morning (from my house to Cape Vincent, in the 1000 Islands). This is a ride that I've done for the past 3 years. I'm going to take my road bike (Mandaric), instead of my Surly. Riding 150 miles in one day is hard enough, but doing it with a tank like my Surly would be very difficult.
So, in preparation for my ride, I decided I better take the Mandaric out for a spin, since I haven't ridden this bike since last Fall. I decided to do my Ellison Park Loop. Sure enough, I noticed a scraping noise coming from the front hub. It turns out that the bearings needed to be over-hauled. This is why you do a shake-down ride, before a long journey.
I'll be riding to the Islands with Leon. Kurt and Mark will be driving a van up, stopping along the way to play some golf, and being available in case we get into trouble. The forecast is for sunny skies, temps around 70, and winds from the WNW at 13mph. This will help us on the first 70 miles of the ride, but will hurt us as we head north for the last 80 miles. It should be an epic ride. Let's hope I have the strength to make it all the way there.
No comments:
Post a Comment