Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Sausage Run

Ride Stats:
Distance: 25 mi
Avg Speed: 11.1 mph
Elevation Climbed: 1220 ft
Calories Burned: 1360 kcal
Temp: Low 70's
I like sausages alot, so this Mendolia's Italian Sausage building that I bike past all the time never fails to attract my attention. Since it's in an industrial neighborhood, and never looks open, I've never stopped....until today.
I'm glad I did. They mainly make Italian Sausage links, either regular or spicy. They've been in business for over 60 years, so they're really good at it. Angela and I have enjoyed them before from the grocery store, but never fresh from the factory. At this outlet store you've got to be willing to buy at least a 5 lb box ( 20 sausages ); refrigerated, not frozen. Spicy is not too spicy. It's more like just right. So's the price: $14, cash only. The box fit perfectly on my front rack.
Henry is the Manager, and was working the retail counter by himself this morning. I was his only customer, so he had time to talk about bicycling. When he was growing up in Kansas City he biked all the time. He only had a single-speed setup, which was tough because there are some really steep hills and big elevation changes all over town. He said it really helped his training for his high school track team though, and he went on to win the 1964 Missouri State Title in the Quarter Mile! Not too shabby. These days that would be the 400 meter. Enough reminiscing about the Glory Days, Henry. I've got 20 more miles to go, and want to get these sausages home before they expire.
It was a good ride in perfect weather, followed by a great lunch of grilled Italian Sausages.

1 comment:

  1. Love the photos....and the fact that you convinced Henry to let you take his picture! Are you going to post blog entries during your trip? Michelle

    ReplyDelete