Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I loves me fenders


Distance - 10.3 miles
Average speed - 12.2 mph
Elevation - 783 feet
Temperature - 64 F
Weather conditions - showers

I decided to take a ride after dinner tonight - my Farnung-5 course. The skies were dark and there was rain in the forecast, but I didn't care.




Notice the ducklings behind Mama duck!

As I was riding down the Bayview Road hill, I noticed a deer on the side of the road...eating something. I slowed way down, fearful he/she would dart across the road in front of me. I came almost to a complete stop as I passed within 10 feet of him. He stared at me and then galloped off in the other direction.

Shortly after that, there was a cloud burst for a few minutes. No big deal, it's only water. I kept going, determined to finish my ride.


Here's where the Newport House used to stand.


On the way home, the skies opened up and it came down pretty heavy. But, as I rode along, I realized something was very different...I wasn't getting any dirt/water in my mouth, or up my back. Yes, I was getting wet from the skies, but I wasn't getting the steady stream of road grime on my feet, legs, face, teeth, etc.

Picture yourself riding in a Cadillac...now picture that Cadillac with 2 wheels...and imagine it being a convertible. That's what it feels like riding my bike in the rain. Uber smooth!


Here's proof that we actually did have sun in Rochester (last week). The Red Bud is in full bloom and the grass has never been greener.


Another sign that Spring is here...baseball games. After his first 5 games were rained out, Tyler's team finally got a few games in. Ty has already pitched 2 complete games, so far.

I learned something tonight. Riding in the rain is no big deal. In fact, with fenders, it's actually kind of fun.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you finally made it out in the rain! Hey, at least you're not getting muddy like the guys at last year's infamous muddy Giro stage: http://www.roadcycling.com/artman2/uploads/1/evans_vinokourov_muddy_roads_giro_d_italia_2010_c.jpg Imagine swallowing all the mud kicked up from the peloton!

    Have been watching this year's Giro. Scott and I have been cursing Contador and pulling for anyone else, basically. Looks pretty good for the Spaniard at this point though - there's something unnatural about his ability to muster enough strength to pull totally away from a group at the end of a long uphill stage. Hmmmmm...

    Keep up the great work! (Same to Ty in his bball games.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tans - I believe that's Cadel Evans, in that photo. Notice how he's trying to keep his mouth closed, to avoid eating the mud coming up from the guy in front of him. Fun stuff!

    I'm with you, anyone but Contador for the Giro win.

    Did you see that my boys (Horner and Levi) are 1-2 in the Tour of California?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanya - I hope Senor Contador is laying off the Clenbuterol-tainted beef! What's his excuse going to be this time? The laundry detergent, that was used on his jersey, had Clenbuterol in it, since it's made from cattle parts...from a region that's known to feed their cattle with growth hormones?

    ReplyDelete