Ride Stats
Distance: 64 mi
Avg Speed: 11.3 mph
Climbed: 2560 ft
Calories Burned: 3800 kcal
Temps: 65 to 85 F
Wind: Favorable
It's been a couple of weeks since I last biked, so I was itching to go. The weather reports were for rain, but inspired by Eric's recent ride, I was looking forward to it. Unfortunately, no rain materialized, so I've yet to test that "Cadillac Convertible in the Rain" experience. Clouds gave way to sun, and the temperature climbed significantly along the way. My legs felt strong, so I tried to keep up a good pace. I managed to increase my average speed about a 1/2 mph from the last time I rode this course.
I got a flat tire last time I rode, and got another one today. Rear tire both times & broken glass is the culprit. There's alot of it around. As soon as I stopped to fix it, a Mother & Daughter out biking came over to watch and help. The Mom is Giselle, from Costa Rica; and her daughter is Gloriana. Giselle grew up with bicycling, as it was her primary mode of transportation in Costa Rica. Now she's a Phys Ed teacher at a Kansas City Charter School working mostly with Spanish speaking students, and putting her bilingual skills to good use.
Gloriana is excited about learning how to bike, and was keenly interested in learning how to fix a flat. So far they've just been doing short trips. When I told her how I got the flat, she wisely recommended that I not ride over the broken glass. She says she's been able to see it and avoid it. Cute. Rookies think they have all the answers.
With all these extra hands we were able to access the tube without removing the wheel, find the hole, patch it and reassemble it in no time at all.
Karl - you got a flat with your new Schwalbe's? Say it ain't so!
ReplyDeleteYou're doing great, with respect to your distance and climbing! Very impressive. How many 58-year olds can do what you're doing? Not many, that's for sure.
Excellent post, as always!
Eric, thanks for the kind words.
ReplyDeleteI'm still riding on the Continental tires, but I will switch over to the Schwalbe's soon.
Probably not many 57-year olds can be doing this, either...
Sorry, brother man! I didn't mean to rush you towards 58!! You're right, though. Not many 57-year olds can do what you're doing.
ReplyDelete