Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Reverse toe-in!

Remember me mentioning that my front brakes were squealing? I tried the usual toe-in setup, roughing up the surface on each brake pad, cleaning the rim, and I even installed a brake booster. None of this worked.

Then I tried something that's counter-intuitive...reverse toe-in. This is where you adjust the brake pads so the rear of the brake pad hits the rim first. I adjusted the front brake pads in this manner, took it for a test ride, and I couldn't make it squeal!! This is huge, as there's nothing more frustrating than listening to your brakes screech every time you come to a stop. I like my ride to be stealthy quiet.

Karl - you should try this adjustment on your Surly, if you're getting the same problem I had.

Caitlin blowing out her 22nd birthday "candle", on her favorite lemon cake.


Tyler thinking of a wish before blowing out his candles on his 14th birthday

5 comments:

  1. Can you believe your kids are getting so old?! I, personally, can't believe Ty is already 14! I love the poses in both pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eric, thanks for the toe-out brake advice. I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, Tanya, I can't believe that you guys are all getting so old! It doesn't seem possible that you're turning 25 this year (on 4/2)! Where does the time go? I'm serious, someone please tell me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would that be a "heel in" instead of reverse toe-in? As for the kids pictures, I'm getting old!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Neal! Yes, your "heel in" description is perfect! Much more intuitive.

    ReplyDelete