Sunday, March 27, 2011

Work in progress

Ride Stats:
distance (miles) - 18
average speed (mph) -
elevation climbed (ft) - 820
calories burned (kcal) -
temperature - 27


Given the lovely return of winter here, this past week, my biking opportunities have been limited. I raked my lawn on Monday, and shoveled my driveway on Tuesday! Such is life when you live in Rochester. But, even though the weather has been cold, we've had sunny skies. So, I dressed up in all of my warm biking clothes and headed out yesterday morning to do my semi-annual ride around Irondequoit Bay, before they take the outlet bridge away on April 1st. As I was headed out the door, I was adjusting my pants (pulling them up so they were in place) and Lynn said to me "you need to lose some weight?!" I smiled and said, "they're stretchy pants, they're supposed to be tight-fitting." The reality is, we were both right. Yes, the pants are supposed to be snug so there's nothing flapping about in the wind when you ride. And, there's no doubt that I could stand to shed some weight. My personal philosophy about weight loss is that it's a "work in progress". I'm not going to get where I want to be over night. It'll take time and it's probably something that I'll need to focus on for the rest of my life. So, instead of panicking, I take a long-term approach to this.

Okay, back to the ride...I ended up riding 18 miles and climbed 820 feet in 27 degrees. My face and feet were the only things that were cold. There was a strong, icy NW wind coming off the lake. I rode through a few flurries. Other than that, it was a beautiful ride. I took a clockwise course around the bay, riding the hills along the bay on the west side. I stopped in to visit with Mom & Dad, who are both doing well. From there, it was an easy 7-mile ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment