Sunday, September 30, 2012

Whytheville to Christiansburg, VA

Ride Stats:
Distance - 54 mi.
Average Speed - 10.0 mph
Climbed -  3550 ft
Weather - 38 to 78 F, morning fog, then sunny, light wind

Finally, an easy day with nice weather.  I did have to wear gloves and ear muffs to start the day.  It took until mid-morning for the sun to burn through the fog and start to warm me up.  The route led along country roads and the kind of hills you get around pastureland. No mountains to climb.

The Virginia roads continue to be great for biking, with reasonable pavement, polite drivers, and no dogs running loose.  I can hear birds chirping and cows mooing, and even saw some deer.   I talked with some bicyclists and walkers on the New River Trail who confirmed it's a great recreational environment.

For my first time ever, I had a bee fly through a vent in my helmet and sting the top of my bald head.  Ouch!  Luckily, I'm not allergic.  I won't hold it against Virginia, unless it happens again.

We're staying at a nice B&B tonight, and got out to a sports bar in time for the Packer game.


Fog in the lowlands at dawn.  It was cold down there!

Nature's own Halloween decorations.
 
 
I rode for awhile on the New River Trail, another converted railroad.

Here's the actual New River, near Draper, VA.

2 comments:

  1. I'm relaxed for you on this portion of the ride. And the refs didn't totally ruin the game, so all in all, a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Karl, you're coming down the home stretch!! Hang in there and soak up the memories.

    ReplyDelete