Distance - 68 mi.
Avg Speed - 9.0 mph
Climbed - 5280 ft.
Weather - 52 to 80 F, Sunny, light Winds
We had a good night of sleep in our old fashioned Motel room, and awoke to a nice dry day. With my lack of a cell phone, we've now resorted to a more traditional SAG approach. Angela meets me about every hour along the route to provide snacks and beverages, and to make sure I'm still alive. It worked well today. I needed plenty of snacks to get through the climbing.
Both yesterday and today were big climbing days, with most of it coming in a few big long climbs. I've gotten through them alright, but my legs are definitely feeling it, One of my problems is that the climbing slows me down to a point that I'm spending more time on the bike than I probably should, so my butt is feeling the effects of that. It feels like Utah all over again.
We made it to just outside of Hazard tonight, as in "Dukes of Hazard." There's a lot of new development in the area and we got to stay at a more conventional modern motel.
Good example of the kind of countryside I've been riding through.
Picture worthy lawn ornaments at the end of someone's driveway.
This was where we stopped for our 11 am break.
Way to go, Karl! Keep on plugging away at those hills. You're building up your climbing muscles in preparation for the mighty Appalachians. It sounds like the dog attacks have subsided? I really hope that's the case. Keep the posts/photos coming. You're doing a great job!
ReplyDeleteSee, look how integrated the lawn art is. That's progress.
ReplyDeleteMy legs ache to think of what you are doing as I sit here in comfort.