Saturday, September 22, 2012

Hudson to New Haven, KY

Ride Stats:
Distance - 48 mi.
Average Speed - 11.4 mph
Climbed - 1850 ft 
 Weather - 55 to 75 F, Sunny, and mostly Favorable Winds

Today would be an important test of my finess for continuing.  I still felt pretty stiff, and was walking gingerly as I went thru my morning preparations.  Once I got biking, the motion was relatively pain-free, but I didn't have as much power in my legs as usual.  Fortunately it was a pretty level ride, with the wind mostly at my back.  Angela and I arranged to meet for lunch at Lincoln's Birthplace Park, and we made a pretty leisurely day of it, arriving at our destination in mid-afternoon.

Coincidentally, this morning I experienced another sneak attack by a Boxer, this time on a right turn after an uphill climb.  Without barking until he was right next to me, he'd been quietly waiting behind some bushes for me to come around the corner.  I reacted by yelling at him and shaking  a fist as I turned and accelerated away from him.  He didn't give chase, and when I looked back at him I could see that he was lame in one of his back legs.  He had to rely on stealth to be effective.  I have to admit, my nerves were being frazzled by  these sneaky dogs.  I found myself concentrating too much on looking out for dogs, instead of just enjoying the ride.  We'll have to see if I can use my rest day to change my mental appraoch.


Amish family out for a Saturday morning ride.



Lots of churches along the route.  This was one of the more beautiful.


This little hayfield is across the road from Lincoln's Boyhood Home.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it's the mental challenges that get you....

    ReplyDelete