Ride Stats:
Distance: 55 mi.
Avg Speed: 10.1 mph
Climbed: 3275 ft.
Weather: 65 to 75, Overcast, Occasional Light Rain, Light wind
Apologies for the late posts, but camping and blogging don't mix. We're back to civilization here in Chester, IL at a B&B.
I finally came down out of the hills into the flat Mississippi flood plain. It felt great to climb 6% and lower hills for a change. I've also now connected with the well traveled Transamerica Bike Trail, and will be following their prescribed path from here to Yorktown, VA.
This valley led me out of the Hills and into the Flatlands. Pristine.
Legendary Highway 61, from New Orleans to Minnesota, made even more famous by Bob Dylan.
God said to Abraham, kill me a son. Abe said, man you must be putting me on! God said, No. Abe said, what? God said, you can do want you want to but, the next time you see me coming you better run! Abe said, where do you want this killing done? God said, out on Highway 61.
( from Highway 61 Revisited, by Bob Dylan )
So, of course I had that song running through my head for awhile.
This seemed like the perfect place to take a break.
I would've made better time if I hadn't decided to ride on this levee for a few miles.
No Bike Lane on this bridge over the Mississippi, so I had to impose on the cars and trucks that got backed up behind me. Everyone was very well behaved, though. Vintage 1943. Looks like something I made as a kid with my Erector Set.
Excellent view of the river from our B&B. Also, saw a Golden Eagle in a tree.
I'm glad the cars on the bridge were well behaved! Beautiful photos.
ReplyDeleteKarl, love the posts and sounds like you are doing well and enjoying some nice camping. The rain and dogs sound like too much for me, but I'm a sissy ;-)! Enjoy, stay safe & be well! XO to you and Angela!!
ReplyDeleteHeidi