Distance - 64 mi.
Average Speed - 10.4 mph
Climbed - 3720 ft.
Weather - 48 to 68 F, Cloudy all day, Rain half the day, light winds
After a nice breakfast of eggs and bacon, I set off into the rain. I had my warmest and most waterproof gear on. Pretty quickly I was on rural roads passing by old farms and estates, following the river up the Roanoke Valley and eventually to the head of the Shenandoah Valley. These valleys are situated between the "old" Appalachians, and the newer Blue Ridge mountains. Scenery was spectacular all day, and the fall colors are just starting to appear. Traffic was light and road conditions good.
This bridge is actually a Virginia Tech "Smart" Highway that they can use to simulate any kind of highway conditions for testing vehicles, etc.
A view down the Roanoke Valley.
A horse lover's mailbox post.
Our destination for the day. These towns are really old.
The James River flows through Buchanan.
View of the Appalachians from our Motel.
This whole trip just seems more enjoyable. Is it my misperception or is this direction just easier and less life threatening? I worried about you in the heat so much last year.
ReplyDelete