Ride Stats:
Distance: 72 mi.
Avg Speed: 10.3 mph
Climbed: 4800 ft
Weather: 48 to 78 F, Sunny, No Wind
Considering I lost elevation on this stretch, that was a lot of climbing. We're back to the rolling hills, and some of them are pretty steep. Nothing that required walking, but quite a few where you just put your head down and try to think of something else as you crank your way up in your lowest gear.
No navigational errors today. We coordinated to meet at the Ferry across the Ohio River, which was just an hour or so from our final destination in Marion, KY. We're staying at a B&B with no historic charm, but clean and quiet.
I have to admit I was feeling pretty fatigued towards the end of the day today, and am going to blame it on poor nutritional effort. I pretty much ate high carb healthy snacks all day, but didn't include much protein to speak of. That was different from the previous days, when I made a point to include some healthy doses of meat at breakfast and lunch. I'll try to make up for it at dinner tonight.
I won a race with a very fast dog today. He was waiting by the side of the road, but was distracted until I was right next to him, and by the time he reacted I had what I thought was a pretty good lead. I happened to glance in my rear view mirror and there he was gaining on me, and not wasting any energy on barking. I stood up and pedaled as hard as I could to pull away from him. Some of these country dogs are really fast.
Good example of rolling roads and scenery today.
My route crossed the Tunnel Hill Bike Trail, a 43 mi. Rail to Trail conversion that looked pretty nice. I happened to cross it very near the highlight of the trail, a tunnel.
I don't know what it is, but this is by far the dominant roadside bloom this trip. Second would be Thistle, also purple. Goldenrod is third.
Just a small ferry across the Ohio that runs every 25 minutes, and is free to the users.
I expect to see a lot of horse farms in Kentucky.
Eat mor chikin.
ReplyDelete