Thursday, September 1, 2011

Day 20: Cortez to Durango

Bike Stats:
Distance - 46 mi.
Avg Speed - 9.2 mph
Climbed - 2900 ft
Temps - 60 to 90 F

This was a great morning to ride into the Rockies; no wind, cool temps, and no rain. There was a fair amount of climbing, considering the distance travelled, but it came in long gradual inclines and similarly gradual declines. I still had to ride the brakes, but not too bad. I wasn't in a hurry, because I had left before 7 am, and knew I'd get into Durango in time for lunch.
Traffic was heavy, but the road provided adequate shoulders. I got a few honks and waves from biking enthusiasts that could tell I'm packed for a long distance ride. The roads are also filled with motorcyclists on long distance rides, and they also commonly give a nod or wave of approval. A bit more subtle, of course.
Durango is a hoppin' place. It's got a big downtown area of mostly vintage buildings, a Steam Railroad Train that takes tourists for a full day ride to the mining town of Silverton, scads of restaurants, a couple of microbreweries, and several bike shops. Young people riding bikes are everywhere, dangerously weaving in and out of traffic, and not wearing helmets. It made me nervous, so I just walked the downtown area.


This was my view on the way out of Cortez, looking at the mountains I'd have to ride past, keeping them to my left.
A closer view of those mountains as I pass next to them. Up there is Lizard Head Pass, which would take you to Telluride.
To my right was Mesa Verde National Park, which I've been to before. The Cliff Dwellings are on the other side of the Mesa.
In Colorado, the Burros do mingle with the Horses.
This is a big Pulp Logging operation. We're moving from farmland to timberland as we go up in elevation.
This is a view of a valley I just climbed up out of,
and this is the one I'm about to coast down into.
The views are getting greener, and the trees are getting bigger.
Someone with extra time on their hands hung this old bike and some clothing in a roadside tree, and it seemed photoworthy.
Not everyone in Colorado is in favor of further development.
Durango has some really great old buildings.
Like this old Drug Store, now a Restaurant.
They even have a Rochester Hotel, from back in the days when they were no doubt trying to encourage English Tourists. Too pricey for me.

2 comments:

  1. Some pretty country! Really great pics and posts. I'm glad you're getting into some great little towns that have some nice places to explore. Sorry to hear that Brad won't be able to meet up with you. Love, Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you ate to your hearts content and washed it all down with a couple of good local beers! The end is in sight! You have done fabulously!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete