Distance - 60 mi.
Avg Speed - 9.9 mph
Climbed - 3350 ft
Temps - 55 to 105 F ( As Observed on Bike Thermometer ) ( Official Weather Data may Differ )
Left Durango at 6:30 am after a McDonald's breakfast of Oatmeal and Orange Juice. Packed a Breakfast Burrito just in case I needed a little something more at 8:30 (an Ian trick ), and headed on down the heavily trafficed road with my raincoat on for warmth. It's chilly in the mountains in the morning. My paved shoulder disappeared for about 15 miles, with the sun coming up in the eyes of the drivers coming up behind me; and felt like I was walking a tightrope of a white line on the edge of this two lane highway with cars and trucks whizzing by within inches of my left elbow at 60 mph. It took every bit of concentration and skill from the last few weeks of biking to keep myself as close to the edge of the road, without going over, as possible. I would not wish that experience on anyone, nor would I want to repeat it. These are the risks you take when you chart your own course, though.
After that high stress experience, the shoulder came back to it's usual 3 to 5 ft., and I could once again relax and enjoy. The scenery was great, and the terrain was gentle. Inclines and declines were long and easy. Because it's such a well travelled highway, services were frequent along the way. I was able to stop at a restaurant for a sitdown lunch at 11:00, which seemed like a great luxury.
Pagosa Springs is one of those Colorado cities that used to be quaint and attractive, that has simply exploded in terms of development and traffic. Making my way through it on bike required a great deal of patience and caution, as drivers frantic to get where they were going were pulling out or turning in front of me, like crazy. I've come to expect that in urban areas, but it still comes as a shock after a long ride through the backwoods.
I'm now situated at the base of Wolf Creek Pass, which I will climb up tomorrow morning about 3,800 ft to the Continental Divide; and then hopefully coast a long ways down the other side. It's not my last pass to get over; but it's my second to the last, and I'm feeling pretty good about it.
Thinking of you as you tackle the divide.....
ReplyDeleteMichelle