Monday, September 5, 2011

Day 24: Walsenburg to Rocky Ford

Ride Stats:
Distance - 81 mi
Avg Speed - 12.9 mph
Climbed - 990 ft
Temps - 50 to 90 F

Leaving Walsenburg shortly after dawn I was confronted with a Road Closed sign for the direct route planned, and a posted detour recommendation that was ridiculously out of the way for a bicyclist. Ignoring it, I proceeded down my planned route. A few miles into it, I was having second thoughts, since there was a risk of having to backtrack a long ways if it was truly impassable. I hadn't seen any traffic yet, but decided to wave down the next car that came by and see if they knew anything. It happened to be two guys from Kansas City, and they actually knew what was "up" because they had come through here the other way a few days ago. They showed me on a map how I could stay on course for about 2/3rd's of the way, and then take a reasonable detour. Very helpful. They also offered for me to throw the bike in the back of the SUV, and they'd give me a ride home. No thanks, I'm still having fun.
While the detour took me away from La Junta, it actually was in the right direction of my next destination, Eads. So I changed today's destination to Rocky Ford. I've been to La Junta a few times, and will get over not stopping there.
Rocky Ford got it's name back in the days of the Santa Fe Trail because there was a firm rock river bottom here for wagons to cross the Arkansas River; and now they are famous for Cantaloupe Melons. When I pulled into the only motel in town, the owner was out cleaning the driveway, which I always read as a good sign. We had a good conversation, and he shared with me how to find the actual "rocky bottom" trail crossing point; which is unmarked, but he learned from local folklore. I'll check it out tomorrow morning.



Early on, the wind was blowing my way. Later, it would reverse.
The grazing isn't as lush on this side of the mountains.
This is a view of the Spanish Peaks from out here on the high plains, about 40 miles away. They were a very prominent landmark for pioneers.
I saw lots of antelope at a distance. This is my best attempt at capturing some in a photo.
There used to be a little town and cafe here, halfway between Walsenburg and La Junta. Doesn't look like it's coming back any time soon, so it's 74 miles with no services.
Cactus and barbed wire seem to go together.
So now that I have your complete and undivided attention, there's something that I'd like to talk to you about...
This is an irrigation canal that runs along the south edge of the Arkansas River valley, and provides water for the miles of farm fields in between.
I like these old style water towers, and they're getting harder to find.
This High Chaparral Inn wins for best value of the trip, so far.

1 comment:

  1. Were you even a bit tempted to accept the ride? Michelle

    ReplyDelete