Distance - 74 mi
Avg Speed - 12.3 mph
Climbed - 2200 ft
Temps - 57 to 105 F
There was no obvious route from Ottawa to Kansas City, so I relied on Google Maps for a Bicycle Route, and it gave me a zig zag pattern using county roads. That worked for awhile, but before long I found myself on gravel roads, travelling at under 10 mph and choking on clouds of dust every time a vehicle came by. This is one of the drawbacks to Google Bicycle Routes; because they don't distinguish between paved and unpaved roads. Eventually I got to a paved road, and followed it to a major road that took me into familiar territory.
This was my last day of the trip, and a good time to reflect on it's entirety. I know I couldn't have completed it without valuable support from others. Eric really selected and customized a great bike that held up well from start to finish. Ian helped coach me through the difficult climbs early on. Angela gave me encouragement and support every step of the way, and figured out the Bag Balm solution to my saddle sores. And, there were the supportive messages from a number of blog readers. I couldn't have done it without all that support.
I'm looking forward to next year's leg of the Journey, and will be researching routes and timing.
You did it!! What an amazing journey and tremendous accomplishment!! Heidi
ReplyDeleteHi Karl, it's Adam (Mike and Kathy's son), just wanted to say congratulations and we LOVE the pictures :)
ReplyDeleteFantastic adventure Karl. Amazing, once in lifetime. Thanks for all the postings, pictures and informative captions. I've enjoyed following your blog (bike log). Congrats to you and Eric, looking forward to next years' "Once in a Lifetime, Part Duex"!
ReplyDelete-Dave