Distance - 47 mi
Avg Speed - 9.3 mph
Climbed - 1650 ft
Temps - 45 to 70 F
My gamble to continue the extra 25 miles yesterday to Fort Garland paid off. The adverse wind direction was still in effect this morning, and at high velocity. It had shaken my tent all night, making it hard to sleep, and I was still tired when I crawled out of my warm sleeping bag at 5:30 into the 45 degree windiness. I was just thankful I didn't have to bike from Alamosa into it.
It was a tough first 15 miles into the wind before I reached the calmer cover of a canyon leading up to the pass. As passes go, this La Veta is one of the easier, with only 1500 ft of climbing, at mostly low inclines. Coming down the other side to Walsenburg was also into the wind, but not as fierce, and more than offset by the decline in elevation. Between wind and the lower temps, I didn't take my rain jacket off all morning.
This is now familiar territory. Ian and I had biked this route a couple of summers ago, so I knew what to expect. What was different this time was the traffic. There was a constant stream of classic cars heading home from the Alamosa Car Show, so I got to enjoy my own special parade.
9400 feet of elevation is high enough to be very aware of the thinner air. What an amazing trip! I just think it's a shame to be burning all those calories everyday and then have to rely on convenience store sandwiches for food. Michelle
ReplyDelete